GRANTS - “We have a list of 574 violations,” the city code enforcer reported to the Planning and Zoning Board earlier this month on July 8.
“Last year we sent more than 900 property owners Notice of Violation letters. We will issue a citation if the problem has not been corrected within the 20-day timeline listed in the certified letter,” said Marty McBride, code enforcer.
Violations of the City of Grants ordinance include weeds, illegally parked cars, abandoned vehicles, and vacant structures that pose a threat to human health and safety.
McBride also reported the status of several properties:
• Roarin’ 20s - The owners of the defunct facility, located on West Santa Fe Avenue, have 20 days to correct the violations reported McBride on July 8.
• “Old Jail” - The property is located on Peña Drive on the hill overlooking Grants High School. The owner has maintained the perimeter, noted McBride. He added, “Interior renovations seem to be taking longer than the owner had originally anticipated.”
• Old Wastewater Treatment Plant - The defunct facility is located between Old Highway 66 and East Santa Fe Avenue on the banks of the Rio San Jose.
“I would estimate that the clean-up is 70 to 80 percent complete,” said McBride. “There was minimal soil contamination and once the work is completed the real estate will revert to the private property owner. The city leased the land from the owner.”
The contractor started the clean up about four weeks ago. “It takes time to remove those 40 foot deep containment ponds,” McBride explained, “because they were reinforced with heavy-grade rebar.”
• Desert Sun Motel - “I’m not in a position to comment until the information is public record,” stated the code enforcer and added that he was not at liberty to explain why renovation had been halted.
• Walgreen’s Store - Walgreen’s closed officially on the sale of the Economy Inn Motel on East Santa Fe Avenue earlier this month, according to Josephine Hurtado, planning and zoning board member.
The next Planning and Zoning Board meeting is scheduled for Aug. 12.
Call the code enforcer’s office, located at 523 W. Santa Fe Ave., at 285-3981 for more information.